Monday, July 30, 2012

Week 36



This. Week. Has. Been. AWESOME. Possibly the best week of my mission. Sister Brown is an awesome companion. It's cool, because we were MTC companions but it is evident that we have both learned a lot of charity, patience, and humility since then and it is so good for our companionship. Her last companion was also foreign (Chinese), we've been out the same amount of time, and we both have the same goals˜to work hard and be exactly obedient. We both love good food and adventure. This is the makings of something excellent.

Clarence is the coolest. It's pretty rich like Webster, but there are more old, fun, cute shops and a little more variety it seems. I live 8 miles out of my area and we are working in some of the Elder's area too because we've always had a car and there are a lot of women in the far part of their area (technically, our areas overlap and cover the whole Amherst ward which is made up of Amherst and Clarence, but we mostly stick to Clarence and they mostly stick to Amherst). The ward is awesome; lots of young families here for grad school; it feels a lot like a Utah ward. We had a Pioneer day ward activity on Saturday and it was REALLY well done. Our ward mission leader seems awesome and he's actually a doctor for a lot of the missionaries out here as well which will be good if I need my prescription adjusted or anything. I'm feeling really good for the most part recently. Sister Brown and I have taken up running (she's a 3-time marathoner before her mission but hasn't run in 8 months) and are contemplating registering for a half marathon in 8 weeks. The exercise is helping us both physically and mentally with the work.

There are so many great people to teach in Clarence! We are working with two older gentlemen right now who plan to be baptized in a couple of weeks. Harry is 73 and his wife Yaneri (rhymes with Harry, starts with a "j" sound) is just reactivating. They come to church every week with their 4-year-old daughter Ashley. Yaneri REALLY wants to get to the temple and it's so exciting to see their family working towards that. The Elders taught Harry once while we were at pageant and set a baptismal date with him... Funny story: We taught another man named Bill this week (82 yrs old I think) about baptism and I totally thought he was the one the Elders had set a date with so I "accidentally" invited him to be baptized on the same date and he said yes! Haha, the Spirit was there, so whatever works I guess! He hasn't been to church yet so we will probably have to push his date back but just the fact that he has a goal to work toward is awesome. We are also working with 8 or 9 less-active members right now and the ones I've met are so great. We've been blessed with a couple of new investigators this week too, and I just can hardly believe all of the miracles going on here! Clarence is supposed to be a slow area like Webster since it is so wealthy but the Lord is so richly blessing us right now. We are working as hard as we can but we couldn't "earn" all that we are receiving. It's all from the Lord and it's amazing what He can and has been willing to bestow.

To wrap it all up, today is my 8-month-mission anniversary... and Sister Brown's too, of course... so to celebrate, we went to Niagara Falls and had a picnic :) For real. It's only 16 miles from my apartment. So. Cool. I have also already had the best Buffalo wings you are supposed to be able to get in Buffalo area, and visited a few cute bakeries/chocolate shops. It is different being the only 2 sisters in the zone, and I miss the sites, but I really am just loving being here. The area is awesome, and we are working so hard. Never a dull moment. One of these days I will have time to finish unpacking, and it will officially feel like home, but I am loving the change of pace for now... it has been really good for me.

I forgot my memory card with the pageant pics on it (we'll try for next week), but I'm attaching some pictures from this morning at Niagara. Those buildings you see in the background are in CANADA. So cool. :)

Anywho, it's time for me to go. Keep me updated on Kenny. We (my comp and I) are fasting and praying for you, Elder! Love you and all of you! <3

Sister Schank