Friday, March 15, 2013

Week 67


Hi!!! :D Lots of great things happening this week...

As you've heard, I had an endoscopy last week (that does not get to be included in the "great" things; whatever they gave me to knock me out was in my system for like two whole days :P ). I got a priesthood blessing the night before from some of the senior elders we work with at the sites. It was much needed, more because of everything else going on than for the procedure. The priesthood is real! I've had a much better week this week... and I don't think it's my circumstances that have changed very much. I've just been able to deal with them better. The procedure was not a big deal. It was really weird feeling normal and being wheeled into the room on a gurney lol. My biopsies came back on Wednesday, all negative. They had specifically tested the area that looked irritated in my stomach (normal), esophageal tissue to look for reflux signs (no sign of wear), and the bile in my stomach for microscopic crystals or stones (nothin). So... they are trialing me on a stronger reflux med for the next three weeks... Which is a little frustrating, given that tests say it's not reflux. But... I suppose I'm grateful there is no damage. :)

We have had some really good success contacting people we haven't heard from in awhile this week. We have been dropped by a few (including Christine! :( ), but some are still interested and at least we are all on the same page now. Our biggest teaching miracle this week would definitely be with a man named Steve. We've met Steve a few times before at dinner appointments because he's good friends with some members. He actually used to be a really strong member, until about 2009. His scriptural knowledge is still fantastic, but he had his name removed and has been kinda anti for the past 4 years. Dinner was running late on Sunday and he kinda jokingly said we could stick around and teach him, and the Spirit really led us and touched him. Since Sunday, he has been to the sites, read his scriptures, put away his cigarettes, took the earrings out of his ears, and listened to conference talks. He requested that we teach him again last night, and he is coming to activities and to church. He's been in contact with a bunch of members. That one experience with the Spirit has led him to crave it. It has been really cool to see. He served a mission, and the only reason he trusted us in the beginning is because we have consistently been obedient, hard-working missionaries and he has noticed. The Lord's way works!

My other favorite miracle of the week has just been in how the Spirit has helped Sister van Geenen and I this week. We haven't taught a LOT of lessons, but it seems like all of our lessons and especially our tours at the sites have been especially guided. We are somehow asking the right questions and people are opening up. Yesterday especially, we worked at the Whitmer Farm all day, went straight to a lesson with Steve and then straight to a district meeting to give a training. We literally didn't have time for dinner until 9:45. But we taught with unity and power more than we have had, in all three settings. This is God's work. We are His imperfect servants. But He is qualifying us. And I am grateful.

I'm getting kicked off, but I love you all a million! Thanks for being awesome! You're all the greatest! LOVE YOU !!!

Sister Schank