Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 58 - Canandaigua (pron. Can-an-DAY-gwah)


Family!!

So... transfer calls came last night, and I'm being moved to Canandaigua!! It's pretty much halfway between Palmyra and Fayette (sort of). Which means I am going back to the sites! The Lord has been preparing me for this mentally; I was pretty sure I was being transferred, but there weren't sisters in Canandaigua when I came out to Buffalo so it was a little bit of a shock. I am super sad to leave so many of the close friends out here behind; Kathryn in particular will be hard to leave, but I am doing okay. I opened up to D&C 112 this morning to seek some answers, and the whole section was really good but this is what stuck out to me especially: "Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you; and in whatsoever place ye shall proclaim my name an effectual door shall be opened unto you, that they may receive my word." (v. 19). What a comfort! Verse 11 also told me that the Lord would take care of those out here (and at home) for whom I've been praying. I love the scriptures :)

As for updates on Amherst, we visited the Perrys this week. Sue is taking her boys back to the Catholic church for now, but she feels closer to God than a few months ago and says we can still visit. Scott (her husband) will have nothing to do with the Catholic church anymore, so we'll see how that goes... I love their family so much and I'm glad they have found at least temporary peace.

Scott and Kathryn have started announcing that they are broken up this week and it's been a really hard one for both of them, but they are both relying more on the gospel. We are in contact with Kathryn sometimes more than once a day, and she has a goal to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the month. That's like 20 pages a day from where she's at, but I believe she can do it!

Funny story with Scott. He came to sacrament meeting yesterday and knew we'd be sitting with Kathryn so he sat further up in the congregation. He was very frustrated, and just ready to go home after the first hour and stop meeting with us and just give up. So this little kid gets up in testimony meeting (he gets up every month) and just  says "I know this church is true, I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, and some people do something in Alma 24." What? It turns out Scott had just read Alma 24, and the last verse talks about how once you have received light, you better stick with it because it will be worse for you if you turn away than if you had never found it. How fitting. :) Then Sister Lewis was awesome and caught him between classes and sat by him in Sunday school. We had a great lesson about some of his concerns at the Lewis home that evening. God is good! He knew Scott's needs even when we couldn't.

I think that's about it for this week. I'll be praying for Ken. Love you all whole, whole lots! Here is my new address:

5914 Terrace Ln Apt A
Farmington, NY 14425

As always, you can also send mail to the mission office in Pittsford (hint) ;) I really will try to be better at writing people back; still have to finish packing today but I will work on that!

Thanks for being amazing. I have the best family ever, and I'm not afraid to tell people that ;) Be good! The church is true.

With love,
Sister Schank

Melissa and Tim Lewis