Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 13 - Stretching

It seems like a lot has happened this week. Missionary time is so weird... everything is lengthened. I can't believe this was all this week.
On Thursday, the mission had a leadership training. This time it included trainers, so all of us who are being trained ended up on splits with each other. So here I am, an 8-week-old missionary, driving our minivan into Webster and Irondequoit to teach and find with two week-and-a-half-old missionaries. It was a blast. I was very nervous. But it was good! We had some good contact with people, and even found a new investigator *woot!* This sounds like kind of a big deal, but actually it is a REALLY big deal because she is the first investigator found in Webster since I've been out in the field. So, VERY exciting news. She is 94 years old, and very Catholic. I guess it never really clicked with me that people actually pray to the virgin Mary until she brought hers out, sitting on her walker, along with her rosary prayer she recites each day. It's gonna be interesting, but we are very excited to teach her.
On Saturday, we got to work our site shift down at the Whitmer Farm. It's almost two hours away from our apartment, so we don't get to do that very often, but it was awesome! The Peter Whitmer log home is the place the Church was first officially organized on April 6, 1830. They have the little log home there, and also a chapel where the Fayette ward meets. One wing of the chapel is a visitors center, with displays and a gallery talking about the organization of the modern church, and about dispensations and church organization throughout history. The point is pretty much that the church today is headed by a prophet after a time of apostasy, just as it has been in past dispensations, and that today's church is organized the same was the church was when Christ organized it when He was on Earth. Pretty nifty.
Okay, running out of time, but I also taught gospel principles this week! I have always dreaded the thought of teaching Sunday school, but the Spirit was there and we had some really great participation going. I got lucky because the lesson in the manual was on prayer, which is a pretty easy one to teach, but I was really grateful it went so well. The Lord is stretching me and making me learn every day! I got a call today asking me to sing (like, possibly a solo) in zone conference tomorrow! Aah!
Anyways, gotta run. I love you all, thanks for all you do. Miss you!
<3/ Sister Schank